Monday, November 22, 2010

Blog Post 13- ACCESS and ALEX




The first part of the assignment was to find out about ACCESS Distance Learning and so I shall tell you what I found out. The goal of the distance learning plan is to create equity through additional educational offerings for all Alabama public high school students and is available to all Alabama public high school students whom want to use it. ACCESS Distance Learning is high quality instruction that delivers quality learning opportunities and greater equity for all Alabama public high school students through 21st century technology.

What I did not find on the website or on Google however, is why do they only share all of this with high school students. Do middle school students and elementary students not need to learn also? I think it is great that there are programs like this for children who want to learn all about using the web and technology. I wish more teachers knew about sites like this because when I asked some of the teachers that I am currently working with for my experience hours they all say they have never heard about programs like ACCESS or ALEX. If no one knows about programs like these then I believe many people are being cheated. Schools should tell their teachers about programs like these so they can take advantage of them if they would like too.





ALEX or the Alabama Learning Experience website is a site that I am glad I now know about! The first thing I looked at on the website was the "Courses of Study" Page. The courses of study offered are many and I think that is excellent. Their are not only your standard subjects like math, English, and history but also art, physical education, drivers ed, health, career, and Dr. Strange's favorite...technology. For fun I clicked on the technology link and then was amazed that it gave over 50 different websites and sources that I could use with my class. That is extremely useful! Not only do they give you sources to use but then it also gives you thousands of ideas for lesson plans! Already written lesson plans that you could really use in your class. I hope no one would actually use exact lesson plans because I believe you should always make them your own but using ALEX could truly give you some inspiring ideas to use in your classroom. I believe ALEX is a very useful site and I will be using it! In some ways ALEX could hurt some teachers if they just relied on lesson plans that were written by other teacher and use outdated methods of teaching but as long as a teacher just browsed ALEX for ideas I think it could be extremely beneficial to education.

No comments:

Post a Comment