Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Blog Post 6

The Networked Student
Link

This was a very intriguing video. It described a way of learning that is rapidly growing in today's online society. The idea is that a teacher would, instead of directly teaching students, show them how to find accredited online sources about their subject and use them to create their own network of learning. They would build a blog-network and establish connections with experts that would help them build knowledge.

The most glaring problem with this idea is that it's lack of appeal to enough different kinds of students. The internet is a giant confusing place and even with the best advice a student could spend hours traveling down the wrong trail when looking for the information they need (trust me I have done this many times). This quickly leads multiple students to frustration. This system also doesn't appeal to non-visual learners. In an ideal situation students would have access to video's and audio clips about every subject in the world, but in reality the availability of accredited sources of that variety are difficult to find in my opinion.

A question was proposed "Does a networked student need a teacher?" The answer is a glaring, yes. Without a teacher there is no driving force behind a students learning, no assignments, no direction, nothing to do but "learn" about a subject. In a traditional classroom, all the students are literally on the same page, they get constant reinforcement that they are headed in the right direction towards learning the material, and they do not spend hours heading down the wrong path.

I guess I am just old fashioned but I like to have a teacher to help me and tell me when I am doing something wrong or when I am doing a good job. I think technology is important, but that human connections are so much more important. I believe we still need teachers there to help students learn and want to learn. In some way children have to want to learn themselves but I still believe teachers are the motivators behind the scenes.

A 7th Grader's Personal Learning Environment
Link

This student shows us how her class teaches students. It shows how her assignments are posted daily and how she has been taught to use online tools and her personal blog to complete assignments. This is actually very similar to the way EDM310 works. We both are allowed to do out work on our own free time, but have a constantly updating assignment list that must be checked regularly. Both systems promote effective time management and responsibility. I really like being able to do my own work on my own time but in a class like this it is easy to fall behind. These classes do not have room for excuse when sometimes excuses are actually legitimate. For example I was sick a couple of weeks ago and I am still struggling to catch back up. Of course, I still really like the structure of the class and I will get caught up because I am a determined student and that is the kind of students classes like these create.

The Machine is (Changing) Us: YouTube and the Politics of Authenticity
Link

This long presentation was a long exploration into the culture of Youtube and the way the current generation expresses itself. Dr. Wesch examines how Youtube has created a way to be altogether anonymous and glaringly public all at once. He describes how our modern technologies have made being famous just as unobtainable as it is desirable, and how Youtube allows anyone to become insta-famous for the most mundane of acts. Dr. Wesch explains that people have become independent and self-centered to the point of narcissism and that Youtube can be used to break down these walls and bring everyone onto the same level. I thought it was very interesting and really did show how our culture has really shifted in the past couple of years. It is kind of sad to me that someone can become super famous by doing something so silly.

3 comments:

  1. Really? Then I guess I must add a section on proper search techniques using some very powerful Google and WolframAlpha tools. Searches in Google (and other internet searches) are far faster and better than any other method I know for finding information. especially when combined with delicious. Have you started using delicious yet?
    Of course, there is the lecture approach where someone else decides what you should be exposed to and hands it to you on a silver platter. As one student told me in the Spring semester "Dr. Strange...I just want you to teach me so I don't have to learn." That's not what you are suggesting, is it? You did write "Without a teacher there is no driving force behind a students learning, no assignments, no direction, nothing to do but "learn" about a subject." Nothing to do but learn. How frightening!

    Oh yes, where do you find the data to support these three claims you make:
    "The most glaring problem with this idea [the connected learner] is that it's lack of appeal to enough different kinds of students.[sic]"

    "This system also doesn't appeal to non-visual learners." Really? Most searches are text searches.

    "In an ideal situation students would have access to video's and audio clips about every subject in the world, but in reality the availability of accredited sources of that variety are difficult to find in my opinion." Well, you do say it is only your opinion. I do not share it and I am confident that it would take just a few minutes to demonstrate that you are wrong. Remember the volume of YouTube videos uploaded every hour. You can throw out 99.9% and still have an enormous quantity of materials to work with.

    You write "...in a class like this it is easy to fall behind." But not in other classes? Why not? Because you are in lockstep and follow orders like soldiers in boot camp?

    You write: "I guess I am just old fashioned but I like to have a teacher to help me and tell me when I am doing something wrong or when I am doing a good job." You are not getting that kind of feedback from our numerous methods of interacting with you, including the staffed lab and regular comments on all your work?

    Did you tell anyone you were ill? You should let us know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate to you Tiphanie with needing a teacher's guide. I'm a very hands on type of student. I learn better with a teacher teaching me rather than teaching myself and doing work to do it to get a grade. Don't get me wrong i love the idea of connectivism, but i would like it to be tied in with traditional ways of teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dr. Strange, I understand what you are trying to say, but I definitely have a different opinion. Teachers and educators purposes are to teach,educate, and motivate. While you definitely motivate, I have trouble seeing where you educate or teach. I in no way mean this to be insulting, but I am simply trying to understand. I have grown up having teachers use the "lecture approach where someone else decides what you should be exposed to and hands it to you on a silver platter". Yes, my teachers did decide what is important to learn because they know. They have already learned it and some teachers live it. They know all about their field and what is relevant and what is not. I believe that you have to be able to trust in your instructors. Trust that they know what they are doing. I am afraid I find it hard to agree with some of your methods because if I truly believed in all of them, I don't believe we would need teachers at all and since how that is my passion in life (to become one) it is hard to accept. But because you are my current instructor I try to trust that you know what you are doing and learn from this class.

    ReplyDelete