Sunday, October 10, 2010

The Last Lecture



Wow! Just wow. I'm so stunned I have nothing to say. So now to say some more. I'm not kidding when I say that this video really shocked me an made me see some things in a new light. Some of those are personal and not really any of your business, but it also opened my eyes to ways to teach. It also showed me how to react when my *fingers crossed* future children and students far exceed my expectations. He also gave me some ideas on how live a good life. I am sad that he was not able to continue his, if anyone is worthy of living, it was him.
When it comes to teaching, I had always thought that their should be a structure to the class. Now, I don't mean that a class should not be "structured," what I mean is that it doesn't necessarily have to have rigid format, that cannot-be-deviated-from-by-one-iota-or-there-will-be-hell-to-pay. He gave his students a little freedom and they ran with it. The did wonderful work and they so far exceeded his expectations that he had to change the curriculum.
He was blown away by his students work. I have to admit when he was describing it and showing it, it shocked me as well. He said that for their first project, they brought back material that he would have given A's for had it been a semester long project. According to him, when that happens, what it means is that "you clearly don't have an a grip on where the bar should be." When that happens you need to challenge your students and see what happens.
He didn't specifically so much about how to live a good live, but I saw it in how he behaved. He said that you should always listen to those who love you when they give you advice, most of the time they are right and you just can't see it. This wasn't the only thing he said that was good, there were several, but this one really stuck with me. I agree with him wholeheartedly, but I personally have a lot of trouble with this. All in all, I was enlightened by this lecture, and encouraged that doing what he did is included in my chosen profession.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting. I would say Dr. Pausch gave his students an enormous amount of freedom. Not a little. Whatever it was, it obviously worked.

    I think we underestimate the abilities of many of our students. If they can be freed to think on their own, without a "Here is the info you should learn. Learn it. Burp-it back. I'll tell you what grade you got." approach, and be allowed to explore and to evaluate themselves, then we will all gain enormously. Randy Pausch proved it, in my opinion. As do Dr. Drexler. Professor Mitra, Dr. Wesch and other teachers that you will learn about later in the term.

    You like a fixed, programmed, workbook approach to teaching. What you are being exposed to in this class is beginning to undermine some of what you believe about how teaching should be done. You are feeling uncomfortable about that. That is not surprising. In fact, it is good. You are being challenged to think, to defend your previous beliefs, and to modify them as you learn more.

    In my opinion that is essential if schools are to remain in existence. Teachers must be converted into coaches, into connected educators.

    We will continue this exploration of ideas and beliefs. It is really difficult to predict the future as I am trying to do. Especially if the change is as great as I believe it must be. So you may be correct. Thinking about it, debating it, and trying to examine our positions truthfully will help us both.

    We will continue this exploration.

    Have you read the special assignments of Shawshaw24's post about what she learned in school? Her post must be part of our debate. Some questions: How important are the things she says she learned? How do we determine that? What was her source of learning? Was it really school? To what degree? What does it matter if she knows nothing else? Where is the information that you, I think, assume she should have learned from from her expert teachers (who are not often really experts in my opinion).

    I am planning a post on this debate. It is a critical one. I am glad that you are participating in it. I think that is much more important than memorizing and regurgitating facts!

    We shall continue!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was also very inspired by this video, and saw a few things differently after I watched. But whenever you said that he gave his students a little freedom, that I have to disagree with. He gave his students far more than "a little" freedom, and I think that is great. The only way to see how far a student can go is to take the reins off and let them run with it.

    ReplyDelete